From:
Robert MacKimmie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Dec 2013 09:03:59 -0800
Anyone wanting to familiarize themselves with Apocephalus borealis, the native Phorid fly that normally preys on native bumble bees and paper wasps, should go to "ZombeeWatch.org" for a comprehensive overview and visual map of the A. borealis parasitism thus far.

We are in the early discovery phase. It spiked this Fall worse than ever before and in years before they were knocked out by cold.

If anyone suspects that they have parasitized bees, collect them in a jar, smartphone photograph where they were found (Geo-tagged), cover the jar opening with a paper towel and rubber band, put them in a warm-ish location to incubate the larvae within the bees. Within a week or so, the larvae will hatch out and spin pupae cocoons, then in another week or so, the Phorid flies will hatch out. You can log each of those steps into the database provided, and you all can become Citizen Scientists - even if you are real scientists.

They have been discovered all up and down the West Coast including Oregon and Washington State, and we had our first confirmed report of parasitism from Vermont this last fall.

Thanks for the interest,

ZombeeWatch.org