From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2017 08:06:48 -0400
Hi all
Those of us old enough to remember, recall this product being marketed before. A Bt product named "Certan" was registered in the USA in April 1981. In June there was an article on its efficacy in the ABJ. By October, the manufacturer Sandoz was running full page ads. The product has to be applied to both sides of every comb. As far as I can tell, Sandoz let the registration expire.

Cantwell G.E., Shieh T.R. (1981) Certan – a new bacterial insecticide against the greater wax moth, Gal- leria mellonella L., Am. Bee J. 121, 424–426; 430–431.

Vandenberg, J. D., & Shimanuki, H. (1990). Viability of Bacillus thuringiensis and its efficacy for larvae of the greater wax moth (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae) following storage of treated combs. Journal of economic entomology, 83(3), 760-765.

ΒΆ

> Keio Aizawa of Kyushu University in Japan discovered an isolate in 1962 that Bonnefoi & de Barjac (1963) determined as a new subspecies, naming it aizawai. Subsp. aizawai isolates were particularly effective against Galleria mellonella (L.) ... When beekeepers lost the use of certain effective insecticides for killing G. mellonella larvae in honey combs, Sandoz recognized that empty niche and developed their product Certan, based on an aizawai isolate, for control of G. mellonella larvae in honey comb. The market was small at ca. $50,000 U.S. per year.

PLB