Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 2017 09:11:44 -0400
It is becoming clear to me that there are many different procedures for OAV
treatments. Most seem to spring out of a source and then become "the way"
even though they may not have any underpinning as to the why or science,
just they work. Plus, OAV gets mixed with OA dribble or spray and one is
ascribed to another including procedures, times, and harm

You need look not further than the mix of X times every Y days to
appreciate the differences. If you look at the "approved" procedure it is
three times every five days, but when you read it it is word-for-word as if
it were copied and regurgitated by the OAV merchants.

It is when you get to the anecdotal world that things actually seem to
clear up. What I have garnered from an eclectic mix of science and anecdote
is-

1. When you first start using OAV use whatever x times y days to get your
Varroa problem under control. Here I think the 3x5 is only the starting
point, but mite drops will tell you when to stop.

2. From here on you are in a sustain mode- keep Varroa down. The hardest
part about this is your "Varroa environment". What is the Varroa sink right
outside your apiary? A plan for the year is essential. As Randy and others
have noted, Varroa control is not a once a year thing but treatments may be
needed three time a year and sometimes more! I treat four times with one
more when I split colonies or add to the apiary.

3. In sustain mode, the X times every Y days varies by season/reason. I
have found that I can get by with single treatments except for my main
treatments in July/August and September/October, but those are only two
treatments seven days apart. But my Varroa environment is manageable and
getting more so by the attrition of local non-treat beekeepers.Others are
not so fortunate and may have to go with 3x5.

How has that worked so far? After MAQS last August I lost one hive to queen
loss and another hive later exhibited BPV and PMS. I decided to get an OAV
and try it out. I certainly was not going to go the MAQS again, plus I had
little hope for the dying colony.

I actually followed the directions and 3x5 was the treatment. What I did
not know was my power supply was failing and the power was decreasing with
each colony. Fortunately I started with the dying colony and moved down the
line. Next spring the survival was exactly in that order, with the hive I
thought a goner and the next one just fine, the next just hanging on and
eventually died later in the early spring.

I tried to treat them in March and found the power supply issue and it all
became clear why the success correlated with the the amount of OAV
delivered.Bought a battery and everything was fine for the March single
treatment. In June I gave a split a single treatment since it was broodless.

In July after I did the 2x7 treatment,  I had a sticky board mite drop of
zero in hive that almost died last year.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine