From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 2010 11:37:16 -0800
Some dried whole eggs smell like rotten eggs (hydrogen sulfide).  Food grade
dried egg yolks from Honeyville Grain smell great.

> >I personally would not recommend beekeepers moving from sideline to
> commercial beekeeping at this time. I have spoke to beeks which plan on
> downsizing next year. running less hives until they get a handle on hive
> loss and expenses level off.

My feeling is that the best opportunities are now for beekeepers in the
500-2000 hive range.  Minimize your costs, and maximize your market by
selling honey retail and cherry picking pollination contracts if you choose
to pursue that route.  The best money, though, is in selling bees to other
beekeepers!

When folk ask me for management advice, I suggest that they ask whomever in
their area consistently offers bees for sale, which indicates that they are
doing *something* right.  Whatever is working for them will likely work for
you!

Randy Oliver