From:
Nick Wallingford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 12:03:56 +1200
Robert Mann has implied that Mark Goodwin, a NZ beekeeping scientist, is a
proponent of genetic modification of honeybee stocks:

[Bill Truesdale's comment]
>> at this point it has gone far beyond mere speculation,
>> and is well into hallucination.  :)

[Robert Mann's comments]
> No-one could say this of Peter Borst's concerns if familiar with
> the numerous rorts already pulled by the gene-jockeys.   The
circumstantial
> evidence is considerable that GM-bees will be attempted soon  - if not
> already.  As I've remarked, Dr Mark Goodwin varroa tycoon of
> NZ has spoken warmly of such prospects.

Following is the press item upon which Robert Mann has seen fit to make such
a conclusion.  I would note that (1) it was not written by Mark Goodwin nor
(2) the title provided/approved by him...

My personal reading of it is that Robert Mann, in his fervour to oppose GM
in any form he might encounter it, has overstepped the mark with Mark.
While Dr Goodwin *might* hold some such viewpoint (I honestly do not
know...), I certainly think it is wrong of Dr Mann to continue to attack him
as he does on the basis of this press reporting.  My reading of it draws the
conclusions that Dr Goodwin might support (1) a controlled breeding
programme involving (2) closed population and (3) artificial insemination -
but I think Dr Mann's personal fears re: GM are outstripping his ability to
read for content and meaning.

GE May Improve Bee Varroa Resistance

02-Aug-2002

There is a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel for the beekeeping
industry in its fight against the varroa bee mite.

Scientists are hoping to breed a naturally occurring varroa resistant gene
into bees that could help protect bees from the killer mite.

HortResearch scientist Dr Mark Goodwin says it's done by artificially
inseminating queen bees with the sperm of a single drone, which carries the
gene, so they can pass the varroa resistance to their offspring.

But the process requires a very steady hand, a large microscope and a very
small needle.

Dr Goodwin says scientists don't know how or why the varroa resistant gene
works but some queens already have it.

He says the easiest part of the breeding programme, which gets underway in
spring, will be building it up in a captive population.

But he says it's more difficult to transfer the gene from there into
commercial beehives, although nature gives the scientists a helping hand.

"The next step is providing the bees to the industry in the form they can
use. This is what we have to set up once we have the stock, there's a closed
mating population that will keep those genes in the population.

"Those colonies that are a little bit resistant already are going to be
selected naturally. But it's not fast enough to help us, so I guess we're
just speeding it along.

A visiting research scientist with the United States Department of
Agriculture, Dr John Harbo, says when varroa first arrived there, scientists
regarded the idea of resistance breeding programmes as akin to breeding
sheep to resist wolves.

But he says the bee mite's growing resistance to chemical controls has
hastened the need to find another way to fight it.

He says the USDA's research programme could be effective within five to ten
years, which is good news for New Zealand scientists.

Dr Harbo says New Zealand can build on the methods that America found be
successful.

"I wasn't totally on ground zero when I started. I'd seen what the Europeans
had noticed and what people in South America and North Africa had observed
in colonies that seemed to be resistant. So we were in better shape than the
Europeans and I think you'll be in better than we are."

Dr Harbo says scientists will know the process of spreading genetic
resistance has worked when wild bee colonies, wiped out by varroa, begin to
return and commercial hives survive without being treated.

(c) NewsRoom 2002