From:
Jeremy Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2011 07:51:38 -0700
I tried MAQS in July and the treatment failed to control mites.  I tried
it again on 160 hives in August with better results.  I used one and a
half strips per double-deep hive, and two strips for triple-deeps.  I
saw an immediate mite drop that amounted to hundreds or thousands of
mites per hive after one week (did not see much mite drop at all back in
July.)  I saw no queen problems in hives treated with one and a half
strips, but some dead queens in the larger hives treated with two
strips.  After treatment I saw some brood emerging with DWV caused by
varroa parasitism during developement, but no mites alive on the
emerging brood after treatment in the double-deep hives.  It appeared
that the treatment did not work as well in the small number of
triple-deeps I treated.

I am going to do another 80 hives (some of which are definitely on
death's door) later this week.   These bees are in hot temperature
locations so I will observe how well the warmer hives cope with it.

--Jeremy Rose
San Luis Obispo, CA