From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jul 2017 11:17:17 -0700

> >What is the evidence that university scientists can't afford to get their
> GMOs approved through "the regulatory process"?

I recently was invited to speak at a conference put on by UC Davis, at
which precision breeding researchers (mostly university) from all over the
world attended.   These researchers are working in the public interest,
with zero profit motive, and are frustrated as heck that the improved
cultivars upon which they've devoted years to develop are not being
released to the farmers who could benefit from them.

I had dinner with three university researchers from different African
countries, and they asked me, "Randy, why do American activists lobby in
our countries to prevent us from releasing virus-resistant cultivars that
could save so many of our farmers from crop failure, and save many of our
people from starvation?"

>Why should they care if they get their GMOs approved, anyway, since they
> are not financially rewarded for them?

This may be difficult for you to understand, Christina, but many university
researchers work for the public good, without personal profit as a motive.
The plant breeders work to develop cultivars that can resist viruses and
fungi, or that are more tolerant of heat or salinity, or that are more
nutritious.  Those are traits that may not be worth spending $50 million to
commercialize, but would sure benefit poor dirt farmers who helplessly
watch their crops of current cultivars fail.

You may wish to speak to the plant breeders at U.C. Davis, who would be
more than happy to explain their frustrations to you.
--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA