Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 20:04:10 -0400
>>In areas where the temps regularly exceed 100F and reach 120F, shades are
an absolute must. In the Imperial Valley they use "ramadas" which are
usually frame structures with roofs made from palm branches. In the
Sacramento Valley it is typical to move the bees into the mountains in
summer to avoid the heat. At the higher temperatures the combs will melt
down and the wax and honey will pour out the front.
When the temperatures are in the 80F to 100F range, and there is nectar
coming in, bees seem very content. In fact, I often stop using the veil when
these conditions are present. So, I would say, unless you are in a hot
desert, full sun is better.<<

I have 3 hives in the 5'-8" attic of my garage.  They have screen bottoms
and there are two windows - one in the attic wall opposite the hive wall and
another directly below the hives - providing ventilation whenever there is a
breeze.  Since bad weather is not an issue in the attic, during the hot
spell, I place full screen tops on the top supers.

I have thought about putting in a roof vent but I have not noticed bees
suffering.  I keep a thermometer on top of the tallest super.  The
temperature in the attic tends to be about 10 deg. F higher than the
ambient.  So far this season, there were only two times when the attic
temperatures went up to 110 - 115 F during the day and I saw a dozen bees
ventilating at the entrances protruding throught the garage wall.  I did not
see any bees ventilating inside the hive (when I looked up through the
screened bottoms or down through the screened tops) and there were no
changes in the bee water uptake from the pond.  When the attic temperatures
were < 105 F, I did not see any bees ventilating.

Can someone tell what temperature level varroa find
uncomforatable/unbearable ?  (Is 120 F the threshold temperature for bees ?)
I recall a thread claiming that elevated temperatures had a control effect
of the parasite.  This would run contrary to the Cypriote beekeeper's
experience.  I would like to think that the attic's higher temperatures
decrease the varroa in my hives.  Am I under an illusion ?  As a dedicated
hobbyist, I plan not to control varroa with chemicals and may suffer every
once in a while.  I hope I will be able to replenish any losses with splits.
One hive has an Italian queen, the other two are New World Carnolian from
Strachan selected for SMR.

I would welcome comments from anyone who kept bees under similar conditions.
BTW, I have placed my bees in the attic because I live in a somewhat densely
populated suburb.  The hive entrances are 10 feet above the ground and face
a row of 30-ft plus tall, thick evegreen shrubs on the property line.  The
bees are flying overhead and neighbors are unaware of the bees.  It's my
first season and we extracted our first own honey on the 4th of July !  It
was very joyful for the entire family.

Waldemar
Long Island, NY

Introducing NetZero Long Distance