From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 07:27:14 -0600
> Glad to see we have some expert opinion being given based on the facts
about  all that went on.

The facts are easy to understand. Your country has small hive beetle and
small hive beetle are spread in packages of bees. Packages from the southern
U.S.is the way Missouri got the small hive beetle. Not from our migratory
beekeepers.

 Varroa will be in every part of the world in the near future. Nothing can
stop the spread. The most logical method of introduction is seaports of
which Australia has. I am sure any bee researcher you ask would point to
your seaports as the method of introduction. Three of our southern seaports
have been linked to our pest introductions.

SHB and varroa travel together in swarms. Every place SHB is today varroa
exists. If your SHB problem came from a swarm off a ship chances are varroa
was in the swarm also.

Depopulating hives to eliminate tracheal mites, varroa and SHB has not
worked any place in the world depopulation has been tried. Glad those making
the decisions made the correct decision.

Many beekeepers on BEE-L are very knowledgeable on the small hive beetle
problems in the U.S. and willing to share information if you need
information or ideas. The scope of SHb problems in your country remains to
be seen. Perhaps (unlike the U.S.) SHB will only be a minor pest in
Australia.

Bob