From:
dan hendricks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 17:27:21 -0700
I find a 3/4" hole drilled in the front of the top hive body provides
plenty of ventilation.  I drill the hole between the 2nd and 3rd
frames just below the rabbet.  I close the hole in the inner cover
and then place a styrofoam sheet above it so that condensation occurs
on the inside of the hive walls and not on the bottom of the inner
cover.  When thinking of the area required for the upper ventilation,
keep in mind the length of time it is functioning.  Also, remember
that the amount of air which enters the bottom cannot exceed the
amount which exits at the top.   Dan