From:
Grant Gillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2007 07:33:04 -0700
I would also attest to the reality that strong hives are not necessarily resistant or resiliant to ward off the SHB.  I have one yard that is crawling with SHB, mostly because it is so shady.  For weeks as I tried to trap the SHB, they would decimate my smaller hives, recently caught swarms, nucs, etc.  Then yesterday I found two really stout hives completely abandoned.

  Interestingly, the bees appeared to have moved to another hive, judging by the packed entrance.  Perhaps they made the recipient hive stronger, and hopefully, resistant to the SHB.

  I am also have great success with the "sandwich" container traps found in the June Bee Culture.  I am also moving some of these hives to sunnier locales.

  Grant
  Jackson, MO