From:
Albert W Needham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 1997 14:13:34 EST
On Fri, 14 Feb 1997 11:32:34 -0500 Daniel G Jones <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>        I just called W. Kelly and they are already booked
>        till mid May. I have been told that I need to get the bees
>        in the hives in mid April.
>
>        Is there any place else I should try?

Dan:

A suggestion - Do you know any beekeepers in your area, or do you belong
a local Bee Club/Association?

The reason I ask is that in my local Club are some Commercial Beekeepers.
One
of them drives down to Georgia every year and gets a truckload for which
he has previously contracted ($13,000 worth) for package bees.

Since he doesn't need a whole truckload for himself, he passes the word
and
even advertises in a local Farm publication to see who may want some
packages.
He sells the difference between what he needs and the truckload he has
contracted for to small beekeepers - mostly hobbyists. This cuts his
costs down
and it's a good deal for the smaller guys in terms of avoiding the
problems that
may arise obtaining packages thru the mail. The bees also spend less time
in
transit.

Al
----
Al Needham--Scituate,MA,[log in to unmask]
"The HoneyBee"--An Educational Program About Honey
Bees With A Superb Slide Show-Version 2.0 (c) 1997
Download From: http://www.kuai.se/~beeman