From:
Peter Detchon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 2010 08:47:39 +0800
Yoon said "Would Australia then lift the ban on American queen importation granted these American queens are free from AHB allele in their gene makeup?"
I don't know why this isn't already happening. In the "world" where I live, the name of the game is all working together for the common good. (And before anyone starts, thats  a rhetorical statement about my personal attitude to life.)
There are some amazingly good bee genetic resources in the US, the result of some very hard work and diligent global searching and importation. I would dearly love to access some of them, and don't understand why proper screening for the AHB genes is not used as a tool to select for those which are safe to import. Heaven knows, we have made enough approaches to government about this. And Yoon, lets stay friends...I'll ignore the comment about  "one way exploitation of US".

PeterD