From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:56:42 -0500
>     I'd like to know what the optimum colony size in number of frames is
for wintering.

Before mites wintering was the biggest topic. I would suggest contacting
another beekeeper in your area and get his thoughts as most beekeeping is
local.

>  What is too large and what is too small?

Large has little to do with the subject in my opinion but the number of
young bees which have been raised prior to winter does.

You should in my opinion always combine those colonies you feel are too
small to make a cold winter. I have already combined mine.
I would rather split a strong colony in spring than try to get a problem
colony through winter although I know many hobby beekeepers get very
attached to each hive and will make every effort to winter a weak colony.

< Also, how many frames do you usually end up with in the spring before the
first pollen flows?

Not a set rule of thumb. Number of frames of brood ( before first
pollen)usually depends on the pollen and honey stored the fall before.

  Please indicate where you live, if you use pollen sub, supplemental
feeding, and what strain of bees you have.

  I live in the K.C., Missouri area. I only feed pollen sub & feed when I am
forced to as both cost money and time. Many times I will move the hives into
an area of fall flowers to save feed costs and give the bees a flow. When
fall nectar is coming in the bees raise young bees for winter.

Italians, Russians, NWC  and a host of mongrels.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison