From:
Karen Kimball <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Nov 2009 08:25:54 -0500
Can I ask the retail price honey is selling for in different areas of the country? I did a price search on the internet for my area, Maine, so I could set a fair price and came up with a range of $6 to $12 a pound. We set the price for this years honey at 1 pound $8 and two pounds $16, glass bottles. We have decided to not sell gallons since we had a bad year. Most of our honey is from September and October the bees did nothing all summer.

I did not weigh every thing but the bottling tank holds 360 lbs and I have filled it three times. I finished the last supers yesterday. It was a time consuming job since they were so unevenly filled each box had to be picked over. Allot of partly capped frames went into storage.

Or is the honey business like Maine lobstering? No one ever admits the pounds they caught or where they caught it and price is never discussed outside of the family. If so… I guess I am out of luck and told you our secrets.

Karen
From a long line of closed mouthed Maine lobster fishermen