From:
"Frank I. Reiter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 12:30:10 -0400
> Reversing is not only widely used, but is well accepted as one of the more
> positive controls of swarming.  I refer to you to page 618 of the 1992
> Extensively Revised Edition of the Hive and Honey Bee.

Thanks for replying to my letter George.  "The Hive and Honey Bee" is not
yet in my library, but I'll order it today.

> If you are going to change from using two deep to 3 medium bodies for
brood
> chambers as I previously suggested,

I fully intend to do so. The hive In over winter this year will be compacted
into a single deep (each) and have mediums of foundation placed above them
in the spring.  If they leave the bottom chamber empty (I'm guessing that
they will not) then I'll get them to three mediums this year.  Otherwise
I'll likely winter them next year with a deep on the bottom and two mediums
above, with the expectation of removing the deep the following spring.

I'll be buying 8 nucs this spring.  I will probably only be able to get them
on deep frames, so my intention with those new hives as well is to
overwinter them in one deep and two mediums, and remove the deep the
following spring.

> reversing is easier with 3 bodies than with 2.
> Just wait until all brood is gone from the bottom body, and place
> that body above the other two.  In the spring, bees like to go UP,
> and hate going DOWN.

Enough experienced beekeepers have said that now that I am taking it on
faith that it is so.  I am still struggling to reconcile that with what I
have read about wild bees.  My understanding there is that a newly
established colony will start during swarming season at the top of the space
they have chosen to occupy and build down.  The brood is always at the
bottom, and as the nest moves down the comb above them is filled with honey.
During the winter, I understand, they will eat their way back up again so
that by spring they are once again at the top and working their way down.

Have I got that wrong?  If I have it right, why do bees in hives want to go
up if bees in hollow trees (etc) want to go down?

>   By reversing, you are just providing empty laying space for the
> queen ABOVE her existing location.

Understood.

> What state are you in?  Weather is SO important, and good advice
> is weather dependent.

I am near Ottawa, Ontario.  We are well away from the moderating influence
of the great lakes.  I am told that our season ends in September when the
frost kills the remaining asters and goldenrod, and begins again in April
when there are no flowers yet but the trees have started budding.  During
the summer it is often hot and humid (This was week highs have been around
34 degrees C, or about 94F) and during the winter there will be extended
periods below -20C (less than 0F) and a fair number of days will be
below -30C (below -20F).

I appreciate the time that you (and others here) have taken to help me learn
more about this fascinating new part of my life.

Frank.
-----
The very act of seeking sets something in motion to meet us;
something in the universe, or in the unconscious responds as if
to an invitation.  - Jean Shinoda Bolen