From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 2010 15:10:00 -0500
Hello All,
Despite what Peter posted to my knowledge sulfa was never "registered" for
use on bees. Sulfa was available at all farm stores (still is at most) and
so the company did not want to spend the bucks to get "bees" on the label.

The problem with getting into honey came mainly from beekeepers not
understanding only the "sodium sulfa' (water dissolvable) was the drug to
use.
In farming applications most sulfa drugs are NOT water soluble. The sodium
sulfa was mainly used on poultry and put in their water.

sulfadimethoxine or sulfamethazine powder has many uses in agriculture today
but is not water soluble.
The above are used for serious disease in cattle, hogs & horses. Being a
farm boy I have seen most these diseases first hand and the sulfa cure seems
to always solve the problem.

Both drugs are very similar and can be used to treat similar diseases but
only
the sodium sulfa is recommended for poultry such as coccidiosis, fowl
cholera and pullorum disease. ONLY the sodium was ever recommended for bees
however I have NEVER seen a package with bees on the label nor a treatment
recommendation for honey bees *on the label*. has others on the list?

Terramycin use for years had a label which prohibited use within I believe
six weeks before a honey flow.
Dadant now says four weeks before a honey flow.  Randy talks of use 365 days
a year with the terra patties.

I personally never used terra patties and had no use for the patties.
Dusting was fast and if done over the period the bees were in a spring
holding yard very easy. Same with fall. We are feeding weekly in fall and
around every hive each week for a month.

History always sets the record straight on researchers and politicians. I
have respect for Bill Wilson but was never impressed with his *conclusions*
about his research. Others thought Bill "walked on water".
Bill was very well liked by his peers and beekeepers (including myself!) but
in the areas of a coffee shop full of commercial beekeepers opinions varied.
Allen is always reminding me to keep those conversations to myself so enough
said.

I reply that I have to as like in the movie Ulee's Gold when his daughter
picked up a picture of Ulee in the army (with his army buddies) his daughter
said" they are all dead?"
Ulee replied "yes!"

So like Ulee many of those beekeepers from those times are now gone.

I once had a dream about beekeeping in heaven:

I dreamed I had died and went to heaven. On my arrival I asked if beekeeping
was done in heaven. Although really tired of long hours at the extractor and
back breaking work of taking care of hives I had to ask. I should have been
suspicious when instead of my deceased grandma & grandpa a recently deceased
beekeeper met me at the gates to heaven.

Well I was taken to an area with stacks of supers waiting for extraction and
the extractors were spinning. I was impressed but watching the work made me
tired. As we left the area the angel beekeeper pointed to my quarters and
said the get some rest as I will start work in the extracting area in the
morning.

I often think of my dream and ponder if perhaps I only thought I had arrived
in heaven?

bob