From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 08:48:34 -0700
I'd be interested in how many states still have a state apiary registration
program.  Montana has a long-standing program and requires registration of
all apiaries, which are termed commercial (more than 10 hives), hobbyest,
or landowner.  All registrations must be renewed by April 1 of each year.

State law requires that apiaries registered by different commercial
beekeepers be at least 3 miles apart.  Exceptions to the 3-mile rule are
permitted for hobbyests and landowners.  The purpose of the 3-mile limit is
to reduce spread of disease (when the law was put in place).  Obviously, it
probably helps slow the dissemination of mites, etc.

As others have stated, registering a site entitles a beekeeper to ask for
an inspection -- a good way for a hobbyest to get first hand instruction at
the hive.

Generally, the state prefers to warn and negotiate with beekeepers in
violation of the rule.  But, if the beekeeper refuses to comply, the state
apiculturist can levy a fine, and if things get really bad, the Sheriff may
pay you a visit.  Fortunately, that's not a common occurence.

For those of us who keep bees as part of our living, its comforting to know
that if someone moves hives in on top of us or abandons hives, there is an
inspection system, and recourse to stronger action, if absolutely necessary.

Also, as Bob Harrison stated for Missouri, colonies moved from state to
state are required to carry a health inspection certificate.  Thus, all of
the migratory folks are inspected each year.

As you may have guessed, when a Montana beekeeper sells his/her business,
the registered sites are usually an essential part of the deal.  Sort of
like getting a liquor license when buying a restaurant.

Finally, if you show up in Montana with a semi-load of bees an no
registered sites, you're likely to have problems setting them on the
ground.  We've had some folks try that strategy, doesn't work.  Nor does
calling me up and asking where you can sneak them in (that's also been
tried, rather frequently).  You can go to Helena and check out the maps of
registered sites -- its public information -- and the state apiarist has a
handy/dandy program that draws three mile circles around every registered
location (down to the quarter section, now being located by GPS).

Does anyone else have a similar registration program.  Its my sense that
many states dropped registrations, or take a much more generalized approach.

Jerry