From:
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 1994 17:47:35 -0700
On Mon, 28 Feb 1994, Jane Beckman wrote:

> I notice that the mail supplier I was considering has discontinued their
> glass-encased observation hive---of course, when I was considering getting
> one.  This is not the standard single-frame-wide observation "hive" that
> they still market, but rather a complete hive (with optional glass-enclosed
> supers).  My question is: does anyone know of a source for these?  The
> previous source was Brushy Mountain, and they were $64.95 for the basic
> hive body with frames.

> I've already got a "homemade" observation hive: a standard hive body
> modified with an extension with a plexiglass side.  (Guess what!  Bees
> won't cover plexiglass with propolis! ;-)  It's done well for me (last year,

Jane, your bees may not cover plexiglass with propolis, but mine do.  I
can't see any difference between glass and plexiglass from that
standpoint - and I have used both.

Depending on the type of plastic used in the plexiglass, it may absorb
water.  For example, plexigas and Lucite are acrylic and transmit 3-5%
more light than standard glass.  Polycarbonates such as Lexan are tougher
(virtually unbreakable) but are more flexible and may sag due to their
tendency to absorb water.

Lexan is 250 times more impact resistant than glass and 30 times more
than plexiglas.

One advantage to using plastics is machinability, the other shatter
resistance.  As a worry wart, I like to use plastic, especially if the
observation hive is likely to be moved or where lots of people are around.

Jerry Bromenshenk
The University of MT