Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 2010 12:07:14 -0500
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

I have high end digital cameras, both still and video, with an assortment
of macro and telephoto lenses, and ring lights.

The macros include those that go to 1:1, and my wife, who is a
semi-professional photographer has a Canon macro that goes to 5:1!

We've ring lights that can be rotated, turn on different parts of the ring,
 etc.

The suggestion of using a long telephoto lens at a larger standoff distance
 doesn't yield the one shot covers all of the cells on a frame.  And the
macro sees only a portion of a frame.

In an off line comment, Jack sent me a link to this by Dennis Van
Engelesdorp   _http://gigapan.org/gigapans/27538/_
(http://gigapan.org/gigapans/27538/)

In this case, a series of photos were digitally stitched  together.

Some have reported stitching pictures together with PhotoShop - but that's
usually a lot of work.

So, I'm showing my age - I've never had the option of easily merging a
series of pictures - but several pocket cameras now come with that option for
panoramic landscape photos.

And, I think Windows 7 is supposed to have that option - although I've not
looked it up - maybe someone on the list has.

So, the take home message to myself - find a good piece of software to
stitch together the pictures that I take with the macro camera, build a jig to
rack the frame past, so I cover all areas and so that the pictures are
reasonably lined up - reduces distortion.

This may work with a telephoto - but the problem is daylight.  Unless  you
want to carry reflectors, spots, etc. on dark days, the telephoto lens won't
 provide sufficient detail.  The macro with a ring lens is a more compact
system and provides excellent detail - but one will have to take more
pictures.

However, I'll try both types of lens when the weather warms up.  In  the
meantime, I'm looking for a really good piece of software that will stitch
the pictures together.

Jerry