From:
Richard Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 2011 08:54:35 -0400
I would like to say that after developing an allergy to bee stings that two allergists have told me the human body can for absolutely no apparent reason develop or rid itself of allergies and that exposure rates prior to the development of the allergies have little impact.  I have been going through controlled therapy treatments (injections not stings) and now can be stung without even much of a local reaction.    Prior to that while I would not suffer massive airway swelling I would have a drop in blood pressure and go into shock.  This developed out of the blue several years into beekeeping.

The therapist wants me to continue the maintenance shots even though I appear to have lost my reaction to the bee stings because my reaction prior to therapy was so dangerous that the risk out weighed the minimal cost of once every two month shots.

Which I agreed to, especially now that I have two kids.

When handling pollen at anytime during the season I have a skin irritation as a direct result of the mix, regardless of the type of pollen.  It may not be caused by all pollen but certain pollen within the mix be it arboreal or late season wildflower.  I use zero treatments in my colonies and because of my build-up have mostly 2 year or younger comb currently in most my colonies.  Much of my bees forage range is park and/or wild no ag plants so I am wagering that my reaction is a natural reaction to natural attributes of the pollen.

I do not notice anything when I am handling wax or propolis.

Not too sure if any of that matters in this discussion, but I figure I would share.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855