From:
Medhat Nasr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 08:25:26 EDT
Hi Barry and others,

ISN'T THAT WHAT CHECKMITE STRIPS SUPpose TO DO TO APISTAN-RESISTANT
VARROA MITES?

HERE ARE FEW QUESTIONS TO MANNLAKE "Technical Update":

How long CheckMite will last before varroa mites develop resistance
to it?

- If we follow the same use pattern as we used Apistan, it will not take long
for mites to develop  resistance. Therefore, we should be vigilant
when we use CheckMite!!

Did they say any thing about a strategy to reduce the rate of
development of Check-Mite-resistant varroa mites?

.  As an advice,control of mites and bee diseases must enter the
realm of integrated pet management (IPM).
This strategy is based on use of chemicals combined with genetic and
cultural methods. In addition, control tactics need to lower
expectation to efficacy that is economically feasible rather than near
absolute (>95% kill). Thus, the occurrence of more treatment
resistant mites or pathogens will be reduced and the risk of
contaminating honey will be decreased. This IPM approach is more
rational and is akin to that used on crops and livestock.

Cheers,

Medhat Nasr
Medhat Nasr, Ph.D.
Research Scientist,