From:
dan hendricks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 16:54:38 -0700
Hi, Listers.  Can't an analogy be made between absorption of
substances by wax and adsorption of odors and tastes by activated
charcoal?  The contaminants previously adsorbed by the charcoal are
not released to the substances subsequently being cleaned but rather
contaminants continue to be adsorbed.  So since beeswax has such a
strong affinity for PDB, fluvalinate, etc., why should we expect it
later to transfer those substances to honey?  Wouldn't it be more
likely actually to clean the honey, just like charcoal does?  I would
think people's intuition should not be used to answer this but rather
to rely on careful scientific measuring.  It would be instructive to
know precisely what percentages of contaminants absorbed in the wax
would be large enough that the honey would "wash" them out of the
wax.   Dan