Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 17:54:36 EST
You kept bees for 20 years, but now are allergic stings, you say.  And there
are now
26 colonies of bees across the street from you.

Gosh, why don't you go to a KNOWLEDGEABLE allergist and get desensitized?
Most allergists know about sneezing and so-called hay fever, but know almost
nothing about honey bee stings.

In 1964, I had been keeping bees, 50 colonies, for 31 years and suddenly got
about
40-50 stings when making a shake swarm.  I went into mild anaphylactic shock;
and the hospital allergist told me to STOP BEEKEEPING.  I am a scientist, and
that
solution did not sit well with me at all, so I contacted both Dr. Golden and
Dr. Valentine at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore.  Golden and Valentine spent
their entire lives doing research on allergy to honey bee stings.  They
desensitized me, and advised me to get stung often, even once each day for
the rest o f my life, and I would be fine.  That was 38 years ago, and I get
almost a sting every day ever since and 2002 starts my 70th year of
beekeeping in Maryland.  On rare occasions, I have received 20 stings in an
hour, suffering local pain only, with no swelling, no shock, and just mad at
myself for making some stupid mistake.

George Imirie
EAS CERTIFIED MASTER BEEKEEPER
Author of George's PINK PAGES