From:
Marc Studebaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 07:38:03 -0500
George thanks for responding to my question on shims.  I always enjoy your
posts.  I am however confused by some of your comments.

>You say you use upper entrances during a nectar flow.  An upper entrance is
>FAR MORE important in the winter than in the summer.  You want to get rid
of
>that DAMP
>air from exhaled bee breath during the winter. >

If you are not using your shim for and entrance or ventilation what is its
purpose?

>Most bee researchers and almost all professional honey producers install
>their supers of DRAWN COMB all at one time rather than one now, another in
>couple of  weeks, followed by a third, etc.

I agree, I usually install at least 6 supers ( mediums) on prior to our
first honey flow.  Since I have a miss match of equipment that I have
collected over the years not all my supers mate up to provide proper bee
space.  In these areas bees routinely fill this with burr comb.  I assumed
they would do the same with a shim, since I have never tried shims between
supers, I will give it a go next year out of interest.

>I don't like auger holes in my supers for two reasons: They making robbing
>too easy; and I always accidentally put my hand or wrist right over the
auger
>hole and get stung.

The shims I have seen have an entrance cut into one end,  wouldn't they have
the same problem with robbing?
I place my auger holes below my handholds to prevent grabbing bees.
It seems that auger holes are easier since they don't require another piece
of equipment.
Do any commercial beekeepers use shims between supers?

>Indiana should have weather very similar to Maryland, except you have a lot
>more farming than I do.  My TOTAL nectar flow is OVER by June 15th, and ALL
>of my honey is made quickly, from April 15th to May 31st (sometimes
extending
>to June 15th).

We have a smaller flow in May but our major flow is from June 15 to August 1
Marc Studebaker
Geneva, IN.