From:
Medhat Nasr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Sep 2009 13:36:40 -0600
Bob mentioned:

In certain areas such as Canada & the U.K. you can see the exact symptoms
which are described as CCD but for some reason the powers that be refuse
to use the word CCD.

An attempt to comment on the above statement:

The Colony kill in Canada as per our surveys and investigations don't fit
the CCD as defined by our colleagues in the USA. I am following the
discussion here about the single criterion that define CCD. Unfortunately
dead Canadian colonies can be robbed. The second criterion regarding
disappearance of bees, Jerry answered this already " bees are found in the
hives in Canada". In Alberta I used a bee yard where we highly suspected
CCD existed and placed packages in them in 2007. All colonies did very
well.

For the past three years, I conducted surveys and it is published under
Alberta Agriculture website. I have also been conducting sampling and
monitoring bees in commercial operations where high or low winter kill
reported. 1000's of samples checked for Varroa and Nosema showed that at
least 30 % of the colonies suffered from high levels of varroa mites and
Nosema. Most of our Nosema is N. apis and about 20% is N ceranae. In fact,
the sad part, we did monitor colonies after treatments where we found that
treatments failed and it was too late to help these colonies. Our 2008
fall survey results predicted mortality matched what was reported by
beekeepers the following spring.

Please keep in mind that Checkmite failed to control Varroa in 2007 and
Apistan already is no longer effective. Formic acid was not effective due
to cold spring and early cold fall. Oxalic used and helped in some
operations. In general, beekeepers were caught off guard and bees did not
get the proper treatment on time. Therefore, mites levels were way high
and consequently high winter kill was reported.
We stuck with two ineffective miticides; Apistan and Checkmite. Therefore,
we worked hard to convince our regulators to grant Apivar an emergency
registration. As soon as Apivar registered in late fall 2008. Beekeepers
used it to salvage what can be salvaged of bee colonies. Beekeepers who
used Apivar on time to protect winter bees reported <15% winter kill. As
we kept monitoring colonies, We found colonies treated with Apivar have
mites less than 1%.

Last comment, CND regulators have really nothing to gain from denying that
there is CCD or NOT. CND beekeepers would have spoken up like any others
beekeepers around the globe and complained.

You Can ask the Canadian Honey Council. How much efforts done by the
regulators to get Apivar registered and support the industry across Canada
to keep healthy bees.

No question CCD research in the USA has provided us with good information
about bee health and management. We wish that we move to the next stage
and develop means to protect our bees from happening again.

medhat