From:
Steve Victors <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 12:53:28 -0800
Hi All,
        I am planning on running a 2 queen system starting from package bees.
What I am planning on doing is to install a 4 pound package into a
single deep that is split with a vertical queen excluder and place a
queen on each side.  If I place comb filled with stores on the outside
frames the cluster is forced to the middle and the brood nest should
remain intact.  Does anyone in the group have experience with this
method?  Will the 2 queens fight through the excluder since they are in
close proximity and therefore more likely to randomly encounter each
other?  I understand that the excluder works well if the queens each
have their own brood chamber and presumably more space.  I couldn't find
anything in the archives on this although there seems to be a fair bit
on running a 2 queen system once you have a hive established.  We have a
short early honey flow and my goal is to build a population as rapidly
as possible through use of an extra queen.

Thanks
Steve Victors
Big Lake, Alaska