Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 1997 07:12:09 -0400
While checking my hives this week I noticed a dozen or so, new to me,
bee or fly on the out side on the entrance.  They mimic the bees looks
and movements.  So I checked my "National Audubon Society Field Guide to
North America Insects & Spiders" and identified they as "Drone Fly"
(Eristalis tenax).  On the 2nd segment they do have a distinctive black
"H" on the thorax with the yellow making the indent in the top and
bottom of the H. The adults eat nectar and pollen.  The young are live
in stagnant water.  Hopefully this is of some help to those trying to
track down the H. Bee.

Steve R