From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Jan 2010 18:57:14 -0800
>Here's an experiment to propose. Take a traditional migratory operation and
leave half the operation in the north stationary for a year and run the rest
ragged around the country and see how the survival ends up.

Thanks Brian,
I'm not sure of your point.  The commercial pollinators are well aware that
moving colonies to multiple pollinations, with the associated pesticides, is
murder on colonies.  That is their whole point about the harm of pesticides
in general, in which I am in total agreement.

Their point is that it is very difficult to keep colonies alive while
providing growers with needed pollination services to provide our food.  We
need safer pesticides, and more conscientious application of the products.

Their income is based upon pollination services, not honey production.  If
they were to leave their colonies in one place, they would not only lose
that income, but the growers who depend upon them would go out of business
from lack of crop.

Randy Oliver