From:
Peter Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 20:37:39 +0000
Peter Borst states
"There is not now and never has been a national policy (let alone
global) on any of the issues that confront us, like the one in New
Zealand. It is a past, present and future problem."

Realising that my position is coming from idealistic tendencies.

Is it not normal for other sectors to show co-ordinated organisation
when they are confronted with levels of difficulties such as those faced
by apiculture at the present?

Varroa spread was easily predicted once the "cat was out of the bag".
But each country waited until the pest arrived before instigating a plan
of action - usually one that in the long term was doomed to fail.
In such situations as this, it is surely logical and not beyond our
capability to organise better courses of action.

Pesticides: Why do we continue to accept that our colonies are
devastated? Year in and year out.
I suggest that if the same occurred to the average cattle owner, the
authorities would be informed to get something done - and quickly! An
apology with an insurance claim would not settle the matter. Especially
if it was expected to occur over and over again.
Also,
Because there has been lack of policy in the past and policy is limited
at the present, this is not a good recommendation that the "status quo"
should continue into the future.

Organise, plan and get action before the problem arises - and at a level
required to get results!

Peter
Indre
France