Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2006 07:22:38 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:

One  disadvantage is that a tbh must be built rather than bought. And, so
far,  they can't be easily managed vertically.

I built mine so that the top bars are of the same length as my frame top
bars - 17" to fit British national hives.  Thus I can take out a bar with a
queen cell for example and put it into a conventional hive or nuc.  I don't  super
my hive but often in the autumn give it a couple of wet supers side  by side
to clean, taking out a bar under each super for access and closing the
resulting holes at the ends by wooden blocks.

The TBH isn't very productive of honey but is a good educational toy. Bees
are so calm in it that I have been known to open and examine with no smoke and
no protection.

Chris