From:
Ted Wout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 11:35:12 EST
G C Allison wrote:
> Can any BEE-L subscriber with a better memory/filing system than me
point me to a
> concise summary of last year's postings on increased bee sting
reaction after >taking Ibuprofen & similar painkillers, thank you

I have copies of all the bee-line logs and my trusty grep utility
yields the following results:

File BEEL9306.TXT:
inflammatory drug (ibuprofen, fenoprofen, naproxen, etc.) use
ibuprofen, fenoprofen, naproxen, ketoprofen, sulindac, piroxicam,
suprofen and tolmetin.
File BEEL9307.TXT:
Subject:      Re: sting reaction and ibuprofen
inflammatory drug (ibuprofen, fenoprofen, naproxen, etc.) use
File BEEL9403.TXT:
ibuprofen, fenoprofen, naproxen, ketoprofen, sulindac, piroxicam, suprofen and
>anti-inflammatory drugs mentioned were ibuprofen, fenoprofen,
>naproxen, ketoprofen, sulindac, piroxicam, suprofen and tolmetin.
Yup. It was ibuprofen. Thanks for confirming my recollection, and
File BEEL9508.TXT:
once when I was taking a pain killer in the ibuprofen family, and I was stung
uses of ibuprofen.  Ask the doctor..
   inflammation. Such drugs include ibuprofen, fenoprofen,
   naproxen, ketoprofen, sulindac, piroxicam, suprofen and
File LOG9609D.TXT:
I have been told that ibuprofen or any drug that ends with the
extension -profen should not be used by beekeepers.  Apparently, there
Subject:      Ibuprofen and Bee Venom Immunity
ibuprofen thing.  It was here on the bee line!  I've downloaded
your medicine chest of the -profen drugs.  Dr. Mom at my house did
>inflammatory drug (ibuprofen, fenoprofen, naproxen, etc.) use
>ibuprofen, fenoprofen, naproxen, ketoprofen, sulindac, piroxicam, suprofen and
 inflammation. Such drugs include ibuprofen, fenoprofen,
 naproxen, ketoprofen, sulindac, piroxicam, suprofen and
   ibuprofen, but there's a fair range even in an individual
(e.g., Ibuprofen) can diminish the ability of ones body to react normally to
events.  Take for example the ibuprofen flurry lately.  Simple statistics
reports.  That would mean that our ibuprofen reactions occur only 1 in
cases gets reported] = 15,000 'allergic ' beekeepers per ibuprofen
ibuprofen and systemic reaction is demonstrated, I might become a
 events.  Take for example the ibuprofen flurry lately.  >>
    I was taking one of the "profen" drugs once (after dental surgery), and
Subject:      Statistical significance of ibuprofen/bee sting reactions
> improbably events.  Take for example the ibuprofen flurry lately.
such that the occurrences of a correlation between "Any-profen" and
usual routine - get out of the beeyard and take a couple ibuprofens to
possibility that the ibuprofens are exacerbating the condition, not
it ibuprofen?  No, I avoid "Any-profen" based on the article I posted.
> a mechanism for the supposedly correlated effects between ibuprofen
you against "any-profens", and in the realm of statistics you should not
correlation between anyprofens and adverse bee sting reactions.  So
profen on Justin!  However, don't discount the possibility that the
the statistically insignificant dead ibuprofen takin' beekeeper from
should avoid anyprofens, but every beekeeper should be aware that
anyprofen and bee stings.  Is Dave one?  Beats the hell out of me, but
File LOG9609E.TXT:
File LOG9610B.TXT:
(e.g., Ibuprofen) can diminish the ability of ones body to react normally to
File LOG9611A.TXT:
Subject:      Ibuprofen sources
regarding the ibuprofen article that was passed around and beaten up
The sources included in the Ibuprofen article are listed below.  I
the xx-profens.  I would be interested in follow-up information anyone
Regarding Ibuprofen and stings I have a reference which originally came
File LOG9611B.TXT:
Subject:      Ibuprofen
Subject:      Re: Ibuprofen
two doctors that haven't checked when prescribing Ibuprofen, they may

Ted Wout, 3rd year beekeeper, 8 hives, adding 4 this spring
Red Oak, TX