From:
T'N'T Apiaries <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Sep 2008 08:14:05 -0600
Jim

"I think I stated .... "good" ones were too expensive."
Your original post said nothing about price or budget.  You were lamenting
about the power you required. You even refered to the Parmak as "top of the
line for solar fencers". Had there been indication that this was simply a
management decision, I'm sure some of us wouldn't have bothered to reply.
---------
"most of us have a budget."
Been in this business for 35 years, the last 25 as our sole source of
income.  Know a thing or two about budgets and making choices.
---------
"it would seem prudant to have one of these on each new yard."
Yes.  You must run them on a new location for a month or so, and some yards
every spring.
----------
"They are also prone to the same failures as any other equipment."
No.  Just like an excellent watch, you get what you pay for.  With proper
maintence we average a problem (not ususally a complete failure), every
three-four years out of a 15 units.  Finally had to replaced one that was
twenty thre years old because the components are not longer available.
----------
"the real problem we are having isn't just a few bears, we have "many"
bears."
I feel for you on this one.  We went through this in the 80's when the
wildlife biologist for this region felt the need to close the season. After
5 years it was determined we not only had the highest bear population for an
agricultural area in the province (surpassing the Peace River area), but in
North America.  One July night, I had shooters at 7 locations.  Tipped 5 in
4 yards.  Was sitting or had someone waiting for a bear every morning and
evening, every day from about mid June until the 20th of October that year.
EVERYDAY. Woke up one night to find a bear on top of a truck loaded for the
next morning.  That's when I learned how to fence for bears.  The next year
was a hell of a lot more relaxing and profitable.  Fortunately Fish &
Wildlife saw the light and opened the season again because of all the
complaints they received. Their field officers were as busy as I was.

I'm told our population is back down to about 1 per every 2 sq miles.
----------
"I use the deep cycle marine battries."
Good choice. Again, not all are created equal.  Price is not an indicater
though, you have to the try different brands avaiable in your region.  We've
have found some will cycle many more times than others.
"You also deal with different bears than we do."
Quess I'll have to take your word on that one.

By the way you have a nice website.

Dave Tharle
Ardmore, AB
Canada