From:
Tom Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 1996 00:06:05 -0400
Hi Ken,

Good ideas on when to requeen.
Here I am in New England ,slightly different environment. My hives are at
1500 foout elevation with good slope from their southerly side and front
entrance. Mild breeezes most of time. Hives protected from cold northwesterly
storms. Insulated in winter.

Now second week in July, have good honey in three supers of  hive B ( a
second year colony of Italtians) .I plan to requeen in the fall.No matter
what happens between now and then to keep young queen in control of hive.
 What is your opinion on this?

Hive A  is new started in April 1996. Lost or destroyed original queen during
an inspection . Replaced in late May.The new queen is  going like gangbusters
now after a slow start. Am worried about this hive making in through the next
winter because the colony has not yet filled the lower brood chamber. Upper
brood cahmber probably wont fill  until fall. It is a wait and see situation
 with a possibility of needing to match with another colony. But then a queen
is wasted. Suggestions or comments pleas.

Hive C was started along with Hive A and has both brood chambers full and
moving up to first honey super. Started from new 3# package in April.Probably
will not have enough honey to collect this year. Plan to  use this queen and
colony as a base if  I have to combine a weak colony with a stronger one.
Queen should l get me into next season OK. At fall of 1997 will requeen this
one. Suggestions or comments.