From:
Brad Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 12:59:01 -0400
I have a question that I was not able to find discussed in the archives or
at least of how to search for it.  Is there any evidence that Bees are race
aware?  In other words, is a colony of Italian Bees more likely to accept
an introduced Italian Queen than they are a Carniolan or Buckfast Queen?
Will brood introduced into a colony from a different race have a tendency
to 'drift' into a colony of the same race during their foraging flights?
Is this question being Anthropomorphic?  Any idea of how often some of you
may have changed the race of a particular colony of yours over the years?

I apologize if this is covered in the Hive and the Honey Bee as I have not
bought that book yet.  I have it on my Father's Day wish list, though :-)

Thanks,

Brad Young
Beginning Beekeeper