From:
Carolyn Ehle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 2010 21:20:37 -0400
Sorry for being unclear, I was not referring to isolated populations
similar to the oasis bees, but responding to the comment about
inbreeding and lack of diversity as can happen here in the US.  During
the period where there were few feral bees I'm sure there were many
areas similar to parts of rural South Carolina.  Off the track for
commercial migratory beekeepers, the only honeybees in some areas were
those introduced by small commercial and hobby beekeepers.  Often only
one or two queen breeders were represented and I know in our area there
were pockets with very few queen introductions per year. Supercedure and
swarm queens usually became drone layers by late summer, presumably due
to drones that were too few or too closely related.  Also, varroa
resistance was poor, and most stock was not thrifty enough to survive
drought, at least until we started mixing in Russians.

If the genetic base was more diverse to begin with and better adapted to
local conditions, I suspect the early outcomes would have been better.
In recent years in our area the feral bees and drone populations are
much improved, and feral and new queen survival is much better.  For
about ten years an active beekeeping association using few chemicals has
introduced as many different stocks of bees as are available in the US,
and also selected survivors and collected ferals, then mixed the whole
genetic pool among several counties.  Productivity and survival and
resistant traits have steadily increased.  Isolation can be an
advantage: About 95% of our increasing numbers of beekeepers import only
stock with demonstrated disease or pest resistant traits, so I look
forward to continued improvement in our mongrels' survival.

As I mentioned, there are some Caribbean islands where the honeybee
populations have been isolated for extended periods of time.  At one
point not all had varroa; it would make for interesting research,
especially during winter for a northerner (g).