From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 15:31:29 -0600
Hello All,
If your problem is being caused by nosema ceranae (Fries 1996) which seems a
far reach considering your location (discovered in China) then fumidil
should still work to control the problem. The problem with a large nosema
problem is the spores. Several methods have been used with success to
decontaminate equipment but are involved.

Ruttner checked to see if nosema around the world was becoming resistant to
fumidil and said no but that was in the 70's. Could be in Italy nosema is
becomming resistant. Since the 50's fumidil has been the only reliable
method for nosema control in the U.S..
Fumidl is not allowed for treatment of nosema in certain countries such as
Australia.

Amoeba disease & Gregarines are often mistaken for nosema but both respond
to fumidil I have been told by researchers so they are discussed in
researchers circles and painted by the broad brush nosema in the U.S. when
talking to beekeepers.

>Also in Italy the problem of the nosema is becoming much serious and nearly
inexplicable one.

The solution in my opinion would be to :

1 ID the problem
2. check for resistance to fumidl
3. over see the beekeepers to make sure all the beekeepers in the outbreak
area use fumidl AND NOT IN EARLY WINTER BUT IN LATE SUMMER.
4. If the above does not improve the problem to a level which is
satisfactory then equipment will have to be decontaminated of nosem spores.

I can post methods which have been used successfully around the world to
remove nosema spores if needed. Good luck with the problem. Left untreated
the problem will only get worse as the problem did not happen overnight!

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison