From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2008 10:50:53 -0400
It angers me to no end that with commodity prices at record levels that our Congress would
propose the extension of these kinds of hand outs with no cap on income.

meanwhile migratory beekeepers are struggling to stay afloat with historically low honey prices
and serious honeybee health issues .  the local small farm sector also gets nothing as fuel prices
head sky high and the long term viability of shipping food around the globe is in serious doubt.

if any farmers deserve a hand out its the migratory beekeepers. I cant think of any segment of
Agriculture that's in more serious trouble.

but just look around - we live in Bizarro times where hardly any government policies are in step
with whats happening on the ground.  Its not hard to be cynical and assume that some real hard
times are coming for our country as the populace is more concerned about American Idol then
farm or energy policies.

While honeybee research is at risk of being delayed - I find it hard to support the current farm bill
proposal and would like to see it vetoed. Something has to give. Tough choices. What happens to
honeybee funding if this is vetoed? do we wait another year?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120959668744057299.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Leaner Farm Bill Still Rankles White House
New Subsidy Cuts
May Not Be Enough
To Avoid Showdown
By GREG HITT
May 1, 2008; Page A6
WASHINGTON -- Key members of the House and Senate are pushing a more aggressive plan to
cut subsidies to wealthy farmers, but it isn't clear the initiative goes far enough to avoid a
showdown with the White House over the farm bill.

The proposal, which would limit payments for farmers with incomes of more than $950,000, was
swiftly criticized by a top Bush farm-policy adviser.

Chuck Connor, deputy secretary of the Department of Agriculture, said Wednesday that the plan is
"highly complicated" and would do little to address President Bush's complaints about
"multimillionaire farmers" receiving government payments. "This is not reform and does not move
Congress closer to a farm bill that the president would sign," Mr. Connor said.