From:
Richard Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 2010 21:09:03 -0500
 Stan Asked:

"Would rotations control corn pests in Ohio?"

Yes, I believe they do and even more so if the rotations are longer, say a seven year cycle with three cash crops and four forage crops.  There is ALWAYS corn being grown within a .25 mile of our location including our own corn crop.  We currently cycle our crops corn-bean-bean.  Our food crops (I do not consider our commodity crops food but a product or component) are just starting and we are hoping to do at least a four year rotation:  potato-black-beans-OP corn-alf-alfa/buckwheat.

To the point though, if corn were not rotated and in some areas, as dumb as it sounds, its not I think pests are a greater issue...or sound as if they are.

The ONLY reason I can think of treating corn is to deal with weevil during storage and that could be done as a coating of the seed that is not systemic.  Locally the pesticide to deal with weevils is placed onto the contents of the grain bin while storing prior to shipping to market.  Again, we sell before the freeze breaks so cold weather is our pesticide and when it gets warm out we need to be sure our crop is sold.  Usually it is.  Its a risk just anything else in Agriculture.

Corn is currently in the 5.35/bu range.  That is a HUGE driving influence when it comes to determining what is planted.  Even when soybeans are at 13.00/bu the yields for corn are such that there is always the urge to plant more corn and get more money.  Especially with FSA payments reward corn and soybeans in Ohio.  I could grow Buckwheat, which is an excellent cover crop that converts phosphates better for follow on crops, and have it both as a honey and cash cereal crop AND green manure, but I would not receive a dime from the Feds.  I'll argue that if the Feds changed how they dolled out Ag subsidies to farmers (you'll never get rid of that pork...try as we might) and gave money for rotational crops rathe than specific single crops our soil and pest conditions would take care of its self.

That is my pipe dream.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio