From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2007 11:25:59 -0800
When I replied to Bob about the low pH of HFCS mixes in Calif, I
intentionally left out one possible source of contamination, since I have no
evidence whatsoever that this actually happened.
Since Malcolm posted a link to his article, let me quote a couple of lines:

"Although the vast majority of HFCS is produced via enzymes, there continues
to be some manufactured by the older technology, acid hydrolysis.10  Some of
this material (called in some cases "off spec," and thus rejected by food
manufacturers) may still be available and has been found to be damaging to
honey bees in Canada.  Research by Dr. Rob Currie at the University of
Manitoba showed that  "although there is a good deal of evidence that
off-spec syrup is indeed the culprit in the Manitoba incident (bees dying
during the winter), Dr. Currie cannot point to the actual mechanism causing
the problem. He does warn beekeepers, however, to be aware of two possible
problems in off-spec HFCS: low pH (four or lower), and a colored syrup. Most
HFCS is colorless; colored syrup may be an indication that it was
manufactured by acid hydrolysis."

Randy Oliver