From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 10:54:13 -0400
Hello all,
In 1985 i talked to Dadant (www.dadant.com)about making the small cell
foundation. They said they still had the old old molds but they were in bad
repair but could be repaired. The old foundation was indeed around 5mm.
Dadant told me then they would produce the small cell foundation if the
demand was great enough.
In 1985 i only was trying to show that the original cell size had been
enlarged by the hand of man and 5mm was indeed the true natural cell size.
When we discovered thru varroa research that varroa couldn't reproduce in as
great a numbers in the small cell size the issue of cell size became very
inportant to me.
In a previous post Dee stated that when given large cell foundation her
queens tried to lay unfertilized eggs in the 5.3mm+ worker cells. I agree
thats what happens most of the time with European queens when given the
large cell after being on the small cell for awhile. African queens which
have allways been on 4.9mm foundation seem to lay fertilized eggs in the
larger worker cells right away when taking over a european colony as is the
case in western Texas my friends tell me. I find the fact most puzzling.

A long known fact about queens is that before laying a egg in a cell,the
queen determines the diameter of the cell with her forelegs. The legs
function as calipers and if the diameter measures 1/4 inch (size of a drone
cell). She lays a unfertilized egg.

question:
Why do the african queens seem to move up and down the cell size quicker
than the european queens?
Very busy time for me so will look at all the posts again this winter but
thought i would add a couple things to debate. I thank you Dee for having
the courage to come forward with your ideas and have enjoyed our direct
emails on cell size!
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa,Missouri