From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 13:51:39 -0400
Ted Fischer wrote: a lot more than I copied, just so it would get
past the moderators...
> getting all the mites, one would have to to into the hives on a daily basis (for
> how many days? 45?) and smoke.  Can you imagine how disruptive this would be to
> a hive, to say nothing of how incredibly labor intensive it would be for even a
> small operation?
>
> Ted Fischer
> Dexter, Michigan USA

There went my millions.
Still, it seems a good disruptive application to the varroa
cycle. It changes the mite drop from 4% to near 100% and no
reinfestation until emergence of the next wave of brood.
You could smoke the hive with smoke in the fall, when the hive is
near broodless and accomplish a major hit on the cycle. The bees
would go into the winter near varroa free.
Well, back to the drawing board.
How about all the excess cigarette manufacturing base we have in
this country? If we could teach the bees to smoke sumac
cigarettes....
Nope, that wouldn't work. They are all underage.
Bill T
Bath, ME