From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2010 18:36:50 +1030

> >Further testing (using a t-shirt I spray with the repellent)
> indicates that the product really "pisses off" the hive.>

I experimented about 3 years ago with citronella drops in small
beeswax blocks as a "swarm deterrent".  The idea was to place these
in sites that swarms favoured year after year but which they were
difficult to remove from.  If it had been effective we would have
supplied these to the Glossy Black Recovery Team who are monitoring
the nesting sites for the Glossy Black Cockatoo on Kangaroo
Island.   This was in the interests of good community relations as
there are very many possible nesting sites that are not occupied by
bees or which are occupied only very briefly as there is a high
attrition rate.  However the current practice is to apply pesticides
to as many nests as can be reached prior to the swarming season.

It did not work.

My most hopeful location was in an electrical junction box built from
an old super which was awkward to remove bees from but attracted
several swarms a season.  The citronella blocks retained their potent
odour but did not prevent occupation.

Interestingly, although this season has been a heavy swarming season,
the junction box has not scored a single swarm although old bee boxes
some few paces away have managed to collect six.   These can be
retrieved very simply as they are on the ground.  Perhaps it is up to
the first swarm of the season to make a choice and the swarm odour
influences the following swarms.

Betty McAdam

HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island