From:
Scott Moser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 14:37:42 -0500
Hello All,
     I was reading the posts about killing the AHB hive.  I think the best
method would be the CO2 introduction.  It would create fewer problems in the
long run.  Dry ice would be an excellent source for the CO2.  A college
roommate and I can attest to that!  It wouldn't take much to accomplish the
deed.  The trash bag idea is a good one too, but one problem there.  The
bees will give off tremendous amounts or water vapor as they die, and their
bodies will become a gooey, sticky mess.  If you use the bag method, I would
recommend that you remove it from the bag as soon as you can, separate the
bodies, and allow them to air dry a day or two before attempting to clean.
I was given a hive that had that treatment, but they didn't open the bag
soon enough afterward.  What a mess!  I had to end up burning that
equipment, because I couldn't get it cleaned.  Good luck, and keep us
posted.
Scott Moser
" I believe that beekeeping mirrors life.  One must endure a few stings to
reach the final sweet reward."  S. Moser