From:
Gerry Visel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 03:17:40 EST
On Sun, 16 Mar 1997 11:11:59 -0800 Doug Jones <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>One of my 5 hives has suddenly become very aggressive.  This hive is
from
>package bees I received last year and is therefore a relatively new
queen
>The queen has been very productive an makes frames of solid brood.
>Unfortunately, I live in a residential area and cannot have these bees
>causing problems with the neighbors.  These bees will follow you for 30
>yards or more and are now starting to attack us around to the front of
>the house with no provocation.

   Ormond Aebi (who once had the world record honey producer hive) had a
trick he called "wave cloths."  When a hive got nasty, he would put a
flag type cloth near the front of the hive to blow in the breeze and
provide constant movement.  It got them used to movement in the vicinity,
and calmed them down.  FWIW.