From:
Andreas Kasenides <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 1994 12:37:37 +0200
>really prefer gloves to deaden autonomous reactions.)  As for other
>protective clothing---I started out fully suited, 20 years ago, and found
>I shed more and more gear over time.  I get stung less without "protective"
>clothing than with it.
>
>--Jane B.

>Speaking of smooshing bees, in the peak of summer when the hives are
>full, there are always bees on the top edge of the hive body when you go
>to replace the inner cover or a super.  What's the best trick to keep
>from killing so many?
>Well, I may be inexperienced around bees but....
>-Mike

I am not sure what kind of bees you have there but in my neck of the
woods if you get close to hives in the heat of the summer ... well you are
asking for trouble. Of course you can get close if you get used to the idea
and *behave* properly. But still there is a chance that you will be attacked.
Now operating inside the hive is another story though. I would never
dream of doing that unless I am fully clothed. And that is how it has worked
out for others around here.

Removing supers,frames and honey that is the job of warriors in full
battle gear. And if you accidentally kill a couple, then you are really asking for
en masse (sp?) attack.  For some reason the buzzing noise made by bees
being killed or the smell of those squashed trigger the red alarm.

NOTE: I have been around bees for as long as I  can remember and these
are my experiences NOT my FEARS!! I get stung many times in a year but I
am not asking for trouble.

Any suggestions in improving this condition will be appreciated.

Andreas