From:
tomas mozer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 07:46:19 EST
On Sun, 15 Mar 1998 10:25:33 -0500 kucerap <[log in to unmask]> writes

>Recently, a friend of mine reported a severe allergic reaction to
>honey
>and royal jelly
>that caused great irritation of the gastrointestinal tract. The
>symptoms
>somewhat resembled the gallbladder attack.
>
>I believe this could have been caused by the allergy to pollen that is
>almost always
>present at certain levels in these products. Is there any new
>information about allergic properties of pollen and honey products?
>
>                                       Dr. P.Kucera
>                                       New York, USA
>
>--
>>>           a dial-up network for beekeepers            >>

check out the apis newsletter web page at

http://www.ifas.ufl.edu/~mts/apishtm/apis.htm

go to "topical index", see "bee products"(pollen, royal jelly references)
and "honey processing"(especially adulteration); serious allergic
reactions to royal jelly have been reported in the past... reactions to
pollen in honey are less likely, i believe, but
harvested pollen would have a higher risk when ingested or eaten in the
comb (as in
bee bread)...the possibilty of environmental contamination due to
pesticides or industrial pollutants also can not be discounted (see "bee
alert" environmental monitoring link from apis other "web links" page at
the same site).

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]