From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 21:26:59 -0500
    The Florida orange blossom flow is about over, much earlier than usual,
and the crop is quite short of a normal one.  Some gallberry is dribbling in,
and there are reports of a little palmetto, though it seems incredibly early.

    The orange groves were defoliated by the January freeze, and though there
was quite a bit of bloom, and the trees were regrowing their leaves, they did
not yield well.  Reports are that south Florida locations were actually a
little worse than central Florida.  Possible the groves on the ridge got
better air drainage, and the freeze was not quite as severe.

    In South Carolina, we have had a long mild spell, with no freeze yet, or
in sight.  The honeyflow has improved from the earlier dribble, and bees will
not rob anymore.  A few strong hives are starting to cap supers that they
have entirely filled with nectar.

   The first swarming vanguard is over, and swarming is about to begin in
earnest.  We've caught four so far, three from locations where they can only
be wild bees, and I saw scouts looking over two different buildings, and one
of my trucks which was parked with some deadouts on it. Many hives have
cells, so we begin splits in the early locations tomorrow.  It seems we have
been behind the 8-ball for weeks, so we haven't got set up to graft queens,
though I've got some nice stock selected.  Maybe next week.......

    We are not quite ready to exhale yet, but each day looks more and more
like an incredibly early season with no late freezes.  Peaches are now past
peak bloom, and apples are opening in the upstate.

    BTW Columbia has azaleas in full bloom everywhere.  During the azalea
bloom, it has GOT to be one of the most beautiful cities in the world.  Y'all
come and visit!

   Many of the hardwoods are leafing out, after the warm rain a couple nights
ago.  In the past two weeks there has been two nights with very light
scattered frost, no freezes.

   The season is looking about like 1982, when I have probably a hundred
swarms in the trees by March 22.  I think I'm a better manager now, but the
seasons compare quite well. That was the year I decided Carolina was the
Promised Land.    We'll see, if we can keep ahead of them, the next three or
four weeks.

   May your flowers be full of nectar, and your bees be able to get it!

[log in to unmask]    Dave Green,  PO Box 1200,  Hemingway,  SC
29554        (Dave & Jan's Pollination Service,  Pot o'Gold Honey Co.)

Pollination for lay people, students, teachers
....Of bees, beekeepers, and food
http://users.aol.com/queenbjan/primbees.htm

Pollination for the pros - those involved in doing it:
Practical Pollination Home Page            Dave & Janice Green
http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

Jan's Sweetness and Light         Varietal Honeys and Gift Sets
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm