From:
Jeremy Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jun 2011 08:36:30 -0700
Thanks for the responses--

To answer everyone's questions:

1.  In the past I have seen EFB at random and in drone layers.  The
treatment that has always worked was to give the drone layer frames to a
strong hive.  The other successful treatment has been to requeen the
hive with a queen cell and the disease has always completely cleared
up.  What alarms me this year is the disease reoccurs severely in the
second brood cycle after requeening.

2.  Yes the hives are too close together.  They all drift into each
other and there is nothing I can do about it.  Just part of doing
beekeeping around my area.  It does seem likely that they have always
had EFB but it has never expressed itself before.  This seems incredibly
more contagious than American foulbrood since last time I had that I
burned two hives and have been clean for 6 years.

3.  I last treated for mites in December.  The hives that now have the
least EFB appear to have the most mites.  The hives with the EFB have
very few mites, I suppose because they are not carrying much brood to
maturity.  Believe me, this EFB is very different than what I have seen
with mite collapses.

4.  These scales do not pop off the cell wall like normal EFB scales.
They have the raised head-bump and you have to destroy the cell to get
them out.  The do not take long to form however.

5.  Nutritional stress is the case as we were slammed with wind and rain
all May.  Nectar has been coming in heavily but sporadically for a month
now.  It alarms me that the EFB brood frames are dripping with nectar
but still have EFB since everything I read says it clears up with a
decent flow.

6.  I tried shaking one of the hives out onto foundation and the EFB was
back within two weeks, so I don't think that is going to solve the problem.

7.  I treated one yard with OTC and the brood was clean within 24 hours
in many of the hives.  I am going to be treating my hives periodically
for the next year or two.  I am burning the frames from the hives that
have died.

My feeling is that this outbreak is going to be almost completely
cleared up a month from now because of the increasing nectar flow.  My
hives were stressed (but very full of bees) in almonds, then they
experienced a lack of spring pollen flowers, and then a month of wind.
So hopefully improved conditions will make it clear up as fast as it
appeared.  Or else I am going to have a lot of equipment to irradiate.

--Jeremy Rose
San Luis Obispo, CA

--
Jeremy Rose