From:
Vincent Earthboy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Jan 2010 06:20:17 -0500
Peter, Randy, et al:

Yes, I agree with your suggestion on paradigm shift from Us vs. Them to We All.

To do that, a chemical company needs to be more transparent than to simply announce "these products are filed-tested and safe" through one-way communication, in particular since no one seems to have duplicated their results.  If there are *independent* verifications of these researches, please post the results of those, as well, and kindly identify the *funding sources* for search “research.”

When one announces “semi-field” or “field test,” for instance, I would like to know more about the minimal journalistic 5W 1H questions: who, what, when, where, why, and how these semi- and field tests were conducted?  For example, how many colonies were used for both controlled and tested groups?  How long was the duration of such experiment?  How do these chemicals interact with other Agro-chemicals present in the field?  Do they concentrate in drops of water bees collect?

Even better, can the company claim to *know* with a degree of certainty the long-term ultimate fate of these chemicals ?  For example, have they tested how these chemicals will interact with others in the environment when they end up in the drinking water, in rivers, in the sea, and in our blood stream?  I am not advocating chemical-free agro-industry here, which is known to be impossible.  However, I am old enough to know that DDT was no wonder drug in the long run.  Sure, like a band aid, it stopped bleeding for a while; however, the cure was worse than the disease environmentally.

Otherwise, we did not have to ban the chemical, and DDT was a perfect drug that choked our own throat.  And some still use it in other places thanks to wonderful science, not realizing that we subsidize the welfare of the few with our own blood and flesh, as we have been doing for the financiers that are just too fat to fail.

Randy,  Did you ask Dave if he prefers Movento to no spray, as well?

Vincent